COLUMBIA, S.C. (AP) — A new coronavirus variant identified in South Africa has been found in the United States for the first time. South Carolina officials say two such cases have been diagnosed in the state. Viruses mutate constantly, and many variants of the coronavirus are circulating around the globe, but scientists are primarily concerned with three that appear to spread more easily. Other variants first reported in the United Kingdom and Brazil were already confirmed in the U.S. Researchers predicted it was only a matter of time before the variant identified in South Africa reached the United States as well.
NIAID-RML via AP
A new coronavirus variant identified in South Africa has been found in the United States for the first time.
Posted: Jan 28, 2021 10:54 AM
- Virus variant from South Africa detected in US for 1st time
- AstraZeneca vaccine being tweaked to fight S. Africa variant
- J&J says vaccine effective against Covid, though weaker against South Africa variant
- Louisiana Confirms 1st Case of COVID-19 Variant in State
- Pfizer Covid vaccine works against virus variants, new research suggests
- Biden to reinstate COVID-19 travel rules, add South Africa
- Average US virus cases dip below 100K for 1st time in months
- Pfizer Says Vaccine Can Work Against Variants
- U.S. is in a 'race against time' with new coronavirus variants, scientists warn
Scroll for more content...