SANTA FE, N.M. (AP) — Virgin Galactic has made its first rocket-powered flight from New Mexico to the fringe of space in a manned shuttle, as the company forges toward offering tourist flights to the edge of the Earth’s atmosphere. Virgin Galactic announced the firing of VSS Unity’s rocket motor Saturday to hurtle the ship and two pilots toward space. British billionaire and Virgin Galactic founder Sir Richard Branson says the flight and landing bring the venture tantalizingly close to commercial flights for tourists. Saturday's flight tested new flight controls and included a scientific payload. At least two more tests are planned before tourists take flight.
Virgin Galactic pilots walk to the company’s SpaceShipTwo Unity spacecraft, attached to the jet carrier aircraft Eve. (Virgin Galactic)
Virgin Galactic has made its first rocket-powered flight from New Mexico to the fringe of space in a manned shuttle, as the company forges toward offering tourist flights to the edge of the Earth’s atmosphere.
Posted: May 22, 2021 4:26 PM
Updated: May 22, 2021 4:28 PM
- Virgin Galactic rocket ship ascends from New Mexico
- Americans Mark an Unconventional Inauguration as Biden Ascends to Presidency
- Holiday Shipping Deadlines
- FBI Wanted to Arrest Epstein at Virgin Islands Beauty Pageant Months Before Plea Deal
- Suez Canal ship Ever Given freed, traffic resumes in crucial shipping channel
- Rockets Hit U.S.'s Bagram Airfield Base in Afghanistan
- SpaceX Mars Rocket Prototype Explodes on Landing, Again
- SpaceX Starship rocket prototype nails landing ... then blows up
- Mysterious Seattle light show likely debris from SpaceX rocket
- Grandfather Pleads Guilty in Toddler's Death in Cruise Ship Fall
Scroll for more content...