Lafayette, LA – Lafayette firefighters responded to Melody Drive for a house fire at 12:17 a.m. this morning. The fire was reported by the occupant of the dwelling. When firefighters arrived on scene, flames were coming from the front window of the home. The occupant of the home was outside in a safe location. Emergency crews entered the smoked filled dwelling and discovered the fire in the living room. Firefighters extinguished the fire within fifteen minutes. The home sustained heavy fire and smoke damage.
The occupant of the dwelling informed fire officials that she was asleep when her smoke alarm activated. When she opened her bedroom door, the hallway was filled with smoke. The fire was in the living room. She exited the dwelling through a rear door without injury. The heat and smoke destroyed everything in the dwelling.
Fire investigators confirmed the fire originated in the living near one of the sofas. An electrical malfunction in a lamp is being examined as a possible cause of the fire. The fire was ruled an accident.