As residents in Louisiana, Texas and Tennessee experience extreme cold temperatures and prepare for snow, ice and potential loss of electricity, Acadian Ambulance is urging residents to practice proper generator usage and safety.
Never run a generator in an enclosed space or indoors. Always place the generator at least 20 feet from the house with the engine exhaust directed away from windows and doors.
Don’t connect your generator directly to your home’s wiring.
Don’t plug a portable generator into an electrical outlet in your home or garage.
Don’t run a portable generator in the rain.
Before refueling, turn off a gas-powered generator and let it cool.
Stock up on extra gasoline, but do not store it indoors.
Buy a generator with built-in CO safety technology.
Running generators inside a closed space presents a serious danger of carbon monoxide poisoning.
Carbon monoxide is a colorless, odorless, tasteless gas. Improperly ventilated appliances and engines, including generators, particularly in a tightly sealed or enclosed space, can allow carbon monoxide to accumulate to dangerous levels. Having a working carbon monoxide detector in your home is extremely important.
Signs and symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning may include:
Nausea or vomiting
Shortness of breath
Loss of consciousness
Carbon monoxide poisoning can be particularly dangerous for people who are sleeping or intoxicated. People may have irreversible brain damage or even die before anyone realizes there's a problem.
If you think you or someone you're with may have carbon monoxide poisoning, get into fresh air and call 911.
Acadian Ambulance is one of the largest ambulance services in the nation, offering emergency and non-emergency transportation to areas in Louisiana, Texas, Mississippi and Tennessee. They are employee-owned and accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Ambulance Services.
License Link MGN Image