WDSU NEW ORLEANS —New Orleans Mayor LaToya Cantrell and Dr. Jennifer Avegno, the New Orleans Health Department Director, announced Wednesday that the city will be moving into a modified Phase 3 reopening plan.
The new restrictions will go into effect Friday.
The restrictions include 75 percent capacity for restaurants and businesses.
Cantrell reiterated that all block parties and parades for St. Patrick's Day are prohibited.
Louisiana has been in modified phase three since last week, but Avegno and Cantrell said that they were still monitoring their most recent adjustment to phase two guidance.
New Orleans currently has one of the lowest percent positivity rates in the state at 1.5 percent.
"People have been doing the right thing and we collectively have been putting in the work," Cantrell said.
Cantrell also stressed the importance of people getting vaccinated. According to Cantrell, 21 percent of the parish has received the first dose of the COVID-19 vaccine, and 12 percent of the parish is fully vaccinated.
"I want to encourage our people to continue to do the right thing and get vaccinated."