BREAKING NEWS Man Injured In Officer Involved Shooting in Kaplan; Investigation Ongoing Full Story
BREAKING NEWS UPDATE: Suspect Identified Following Officer Involved Shooting in Abbeville Full Story
STREAMING NOW: Watch Now

Man Dies in Franklinton Trailer Fire

State Fire Marshal deputies continue investigating the circumstances surrounding a trailer fire in Franklinton that claimed the life of a male resident.

Posted: Feb 16, 2021 7:18 PM

WASHINGTON PARISH- State Fire Marshal (SFM) deputies continue investigating the circumstances surrounding a trailer fire in Franklinton that claimed the life of a male resident.

Around 2:45p.m.on February 15, Washington Parish Fire District #3 responded to a call for a trailer fire located in the 29000 block of Roscoe Dillon Road in Franklinton. A relative who lived nearby discovered the fire when visiting the resident to check on their well-being due to the extreme cold temperatures.

Firefighters later discovered the body of a man in the home’s living room.

While official identification and cause of death are pending an autopsy, the victim is believedto be the 53-year-old homeowner.

After an assessment of the scene, deputies determined the fire originated in the trailer’s living room which had been converted into the occupant’s bedroom as well. While the exact cause remains undetermined, investigators cannot rule out the possibility of improper wiring or unsafe smoking practices as contributing factors.

Deputies located evidence that the power source for the trailer was shared with a second manufactured home and a camper on the property through a spliced wiring system. In addition, the damaged trailer had multiple extension cords connected to one another running throughout the structure.

The State Fire Marshal’s Office would like to remind Louisiana residents when it comes to electrical safety, avoid connecting extension cords and power strips to create power sources where a wall outlet does not exist and don’t overload those cords and strips if using them for temporary purposes. Plug all appliances, including space heaters, directly into wall outlets to prevent over heating of wires. And if your home is experiencing electrical issues, have a licensed electrician evaluate the situation and make any needed repairs.

Lafayette
Partly Cloudy
48° wxIcon
Hi: 69° Lo: 40°
Feels Like: 48°
New Iberia
Partly Cloudy
50° wxIcon
Hi: 68° Lo: 43°
Feels Like: 50°
Opelousas
Clear
43° wxIcon
Hi: 69° Lo: 38°
Feels Like: 43°
Abbeville
Cloudy
44° wxIcon
Hi: 67° Lo: 46°
Feels Like: 44°
Jennings
Partly Cloudy
47° wxIcon
Hi: 69° Lo: 42°
Feels Like: 45°
New Iberia
Partly Cloudy
50° wxIcon
Hi: 70° Lo: 42°
Feels Like: 50°
Opelousas
Partly Cloudy
43° wxIcon
Hi: 69° Lo: 40°
Feels Like: 43°
Showers and storms possible this afternoon

Latest Video

Image

Tracking Rain Chances This Afternoon

Image

Tracking rain tomorrow and a great weekend

Image

National Nutrition Month: Healthy Snacks To Make At Home

Image

Bayou Teche Museum, George Rodrigue Exhibit

Image

KidLit Pick of the Week: Firefighters’ Busy Day! by Maria Bostian

Image

Keeping Investing Super Simple

Image

Al Hebert Bayou Teche Museum 1

Image

Southwest Louisiana Veterans Cemetery One Year Anniversary

Image

lca advances

Image

Plenty of Sunshine Today

Community Events