Lafayette, LA – Lafayette firefighters responded to a house fire in the 100 block of Clement Street around 10:30 a. m. this morning. Emergency crews were called out to a reported bedroom on fire in the home. As firefighters arrived, heavy smoke was coming from the single family dwelling. The occupants were not immediately located prompting firefighters to quickly enter the burning home to conduct a search. The two occupants were found in the backyard safely away from the smoke. No injuries were reported.
Firefighters battled the house fire for fifteen minutes before getting it under control. The interior of the dwelling sustained heavy fire and smoke damage. The occupants were displaced due to the extent of damages.
Fire investigators determined the fire originated in a bedroom closet. The fire was caused by a young child in the home playing with a lighter. The fire was ruled an accident.