Lafayette Home Damaged in Fire, Family Escapes Without Injury

Lafayette firefighters were dispatched to the 100 block of N. General Marshal Street to a reported house fire.

Posted: Aug 22, 2020 10:05 AM

Lafayette, LA – On August 21, 2020 at 8:19 p.m. Lafayette firefighters were dispatched to the 100 block of N. General Marshal Street to a reported house fire. When firefighters arrived on scene, heavy smoke was coming from the single family dwelling. As emergency crews approached the entrance, the fire vented through the front window spreading to the eaves on the dwelling. The flames quickly spread to the attic causing substantial fire damage. Firefighters were able to bring the fire under control within twenty minutes.

The owners were home when they began to smell smoke in the dwelling. While investigating, they discovered a bedroom filled with smoke and on fire. All the occupants, four adults, were able to escape without injury.

Fire officials determined an overloaded extension cord was the cause of the fire. The fire was ruled an accident.

Lafayette
Cloudy
68° wxIcon
Hi: 71° Lo: 59°
Feels Like: 68°
New Iberia
Cloudy
69° wxIcon
Hi: 70° Lo: 57°
Feels Like: 69°
Opelousas
Cloudy
67° wxIcon
Hi: 69° Lo: 59°
Feels Like: 67°
Abbeville
Cloudy
69° wxIcon
Hi: 72° Lo: 58°
Feels Like: 69°
Jennings
Cloudy
66° wxIcon
Hi: 69° Lo: 59°
Feels Like: 66°
New Iberia
Cloudy
69° wxIcon
Hi: 71° Lo: 58°
Feels Like: 69°
Opelousas
Cloudy
67° wxIcon
Hi: 69° Lo: 58°
Feels Like: 67°
Rain tonight and into tomorrow morning

Latest Video

Image

Child Passenger Safety Seat Check-Up Event Being Held Saturday January 23,2021

Image

Tracking Higher Rain Chances

Image

UL REQUIRE VACCINE?

Image

Weather 1-20-21

Image

Vaccine Scams On The Rise

Image

Rain Chances on the Rise

Image

Hurricane Land Loss Package

Image

DIY Popcorn Recipes

Image

National Popcorn Day With Pop-A-Licious

Image

Tracking mild temps and late-week rain

Community Events