Lafayette firefighters responded to Rials Drive at 8:41 this morning to a mobile home fire. The fire was reported by a neighbor after noticing smoke coming from the home. When fire crews arrived on scene, smoke and flames were coming from the interior of the mobile home. Firefighters extinguished the fire with ten minutes. The dwelling sustained heavy fire damage.
The owners of the mobile home were not home when the fire started. The neighbor stated she noticed smoke coming from the dwelling about 30 minutes after the electricity was restored in the area.
Fire investigators determined the fire originated in the living room. An electrical short in an extension cord caused the fire. The cord was being utilized to power an air conditioner unit. The cause of the fire was ruled an accident.