LAFAYETTE, La. - Lafayette firefighters along with the HazMat team were called out to the 100 block of Duncan Circle to a gas line rupture at 9:33 Saturday morning. The Hazmat team was informed that LUS employees were digging to repair a sewer line when they accidentally punctured a gas line. While on scene monitoring the gas levels, first responders noticed the gas was entering the sewer lines. This prompted them to evacuate 4 homes in the area as a safety precaution.
The intersection of Duncan Circle and Harwell Drive was closed at the time.
The gas leak has been secured. Atmos Energy was on scene making the repairs. First responders along with LUS personnel vented the gas from the sewer lines.
No injuries have been reported.