Lafayette, La. – At 1:54 a.m. this morning Lafayette firefighters responded to a house fire in the 200 block of Sunnyside Lane.
When firefighters arrived on scene, smoke and flames were coming from the rear of the home. The occupant of the home was outside in a safe area. Firefighters entered the structure and discovered the fire in the kitchen. The fire was brought under control within fifteen minutes. Unfortunately, the home sustained heavy fire damage.
The occupant informed fire officials that she was sleeping in her bedroom when awakened by burning embers in her bedroom. The embers were falling from the ceiling. She immediately got up, open the bedroom door and noticed her kitchen on fire. She exited the home and alerted a neighbor. She sustained minor injuries.
Fire investigators determined the fire originated in the kitchen near the stove. The gas burners on the stove were being used to warm the home. The open flames ignited combustibles and quickly spread to the cabinets. The fire was ruled an accident.
- Never use stove top or oven to heat your home.
- Plug space heaters directly in wall outlet.
- Keep space heaters 3 feet from combustibles
- Turn space heaters off when not at home, in the room, or asleep.