LAFAYETTE - On Saturday, Jan. 9, Lafayette firefighters responded to 711 St. Joseph Street to a fireplace on fire at the residence.
When firefighters arrived on scene, heavy smoke was coming from the eaves and attic of the dwelling. Emergency crews were able to quickly extinguish the fire before it caused substantial fire damage.
The homeowners reported hearing a popping sound coming from behind the firebox. The lights in the home blinked on and off. They immediately called 911.
Fire officials determined the wood structural members behind the firebox ignited. The heat from the fireplace ignited the wood members and the fire spread to the attic. No injuries were reported.