This week’s KidLit Pick is the Alicia Connected Series: The Big Gift and Tricked With Treats by Derek Fisher. This is the perfect series to help kids navigate safely through a digital world.
The first book, The Big Gift, Alicia and her friends are all excited about the new school year and Alicia’s upcoming birthday party. Alicia finally gets a tablet for her birthday and her parents emphasize how important it is to be safe online and not to reply to anyone that she doesn’t know. But one of her friends, Megan, is more careless with her social media accounts and learns the dangers of social media the hard way. Children will learn about how important it is to be safe online with this book.
The second book in the series, Tricked With Treats builds on the internet safety theme. Here, Alicia and her friends spend a lot of time and effort preparing for Halloween using technology, but must do it safely.
The author, Derek Fisher, is an award-winning author who has spent decades in the computer engineering field, with the last 10 years in cybersecurity as a leader, speaker, and instructor.
He has children of his own and knows the importance of giving kids instruction on tablet and internet use. He writes these books to show that there are a lot of fun things to do online, but some of it can easily become a trap. This series provides a way for kids to be aware of some of the dangers in an approachable way.
What Author Aly loves:
· The perfect middle grade series that is relatable, realistic, and extremely helpful.
· Having a story based on the author’s sound knowledge of the industry is reassuring.
· Children are using tablets, phones, and devices at a younger age than ever. Knowing how to be safe and secure on the internet is imperative.
· At approximately 90 pages, these books are the perfect length for this age group.
· Shows that even "tech savvy" tweens and teens may make some mistakes in judgement when using technology.