Lafayette, LA – Lafayette firefighters responded to a house fire in the 1100 block of 11th Street at 5:47 p.m. on May 6, 2021. The fire was reported by several neighbors.
When firefighters arrived on scene, neighbors informed crews someone was inside the house. A team of firefighters entered the smoke-filled home searching for the occupant. The occupant, Gwendolyn Smith, 69, was found in the kitchen and immediately brought outside by the search team. First responders performed CPR until Acadian arrived on scene. Ms. Smith was transported to a local hospital. Unfortunately, she did not survive her injuries.
The interior of the home sustained heavy fire damage. Ms. Smith resided at the home with her son. He was not home at the time of the fire. Fire investigators determined the fire originated on a sofa in the living room. The fire was caused by a cigarette left unattended.