BATON ROUGE, La. – Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Louisiana has services available to help members who may be affected by Hurricane Delta, which is forecast to strike Louisiana as a major hurricane tomorrow, with storm effects through the weekend.
- Early prescription medicine refills for a limited time. Members who have trouble refilling a prescription can call the Pharmacy number on their ID cards for help.
- Telehealth visits with BlueCare and other healthcare providers. Members can have 24/7 online medical visits or online behavioral health appointments with BlueCare, the insurer’s telehealth platform. BlueCare works on any device with internet and a camera, like a smartphone, laptop, tablet or computer, and is available in all 50 states. Create your BlueCare account at www.BlueCareLA.com or with the BlueCare (one word) mobile app for Apple and Android devices. Members should also ask their regular healthcare providers if they offer telehealth services, either online or by phone.
- Expanding the BlueCross Preferred Care PPO network to provide in-network coverage to HMO Louisiana, Blue Connect and Community Blue plan members who are affected by the storm. The PPO network includes many providers statewide for members to access the care they need. This is in effect Oct. 9-16, 2020.
- Replacing certain medical supplies and equipment such as hearing aids, walkers or prosthetic devices that are damaged in the storm. Members can call Customer Service at the number on their ID cards to report damaged supplies or equipment and see if it can be replaced. Items that need to be replaced should be reported by Oct. 16, 2020.
- Waiving prior authorization requirements for medical and/or behavioral health services. This is in effect Oct. 9-16, 2020.
- Replacing lost or damaged glasses, contacts or other eyewear due to Hurricane Delta at any Davis Vision provider at no cost. To find a Davis Vision provider, go to bcbsla.com/findcare and choose Vision, or we can help you find one over the phone at 1-800-247-9368. This is available only for replacements for eyewear the member has gotten within this plan year.
Learn more about how to prepare for your health needs in hurricane season during a pandemic at bcbsla.com/hurricanes, including how to download a digital ID card.