Officers of the Abbeville Police Department observed De’Ante Bessard of Abbeville known to have outstanding arrest warrants for several charges stemming from an incident which occurred on September 21, 2020.
Officers approached Bessard and notified him that he was under arrest. Bessard took off on foot. Officers gave chase on foot, ordering Bessard to stop. Bessard ran until he reached a tall hurricane fence. He threw a backpack he was carrying over the fence, into a ditch on the other side of the fence. Officers were able to apprehend Bessard, while other officers retrieved the backpack from the ditch.
Bessard was transported to the Abbeville Police Department. Once at the department, the backpack was searched. Officers located 249 grams of Marijuana, 80 MDMA pills, 60 Oxycodone pills, a digital scale and $1,064.00 in cash in the backpack.
De'Ante Bessard was subsequently booked at the Abbeville Police Department on the following charges:
· Aggravated Flight from an Officer (Warrant)
· Possession with the Intent to Distribute Schedule II Drugs (2 counts) (Warrant)
· Possession of Schedule II Drugs (Warrant)
· Possession of Marijuana (Warrant)
· Possession with the Intent to Distribute Marijuana
· Possession with the Intent to Distribute MDMA
· Possession with the Intent to Distribute Oxycodone
· Proceeds from Drug Offenses
Mr. Bessard was then transported to the Vermilion Parish Correctional Center.