Hazmat teams called in after Lafayette chemical spill

Photo provided by MGN Online
Tuesday, April 23, 2013 - 3:06pm

A chemical spill in Lafayette forced employees to evacuate their workplace.

At 9:11 a.m. this morning, the Lafayette Fire Department and its hazmat crews responded to a hazardous spill at AMCOL-Health and Beauty Solutions.

When firefighters arrived, the employees of the building were evacuated. Emergency crews were informed of a small spill inside the facility.

A Lafayette hazmat team entered the building to assess the situation.

The spill as caused by a small fire in a machine utilized to mix benzoyl peroxide and other ingredients. An employee was testing the temperature of the solution and the instrument used to do so created a spark.

Fortunately, it was a minor incident.

The company has a safety mechanism in place which shut the system down, preventing a major spill.

The solution will be cleaned up by the company. No injuries reported.

News

Comments News Comments

Post new Comment