Hammond, La — This weekend over 800 Special Olympics Louisiana athletes, hundreds of volunteers, family members and staff invite you to come out to the 2013 State Summer Games.
- Opening Ceremonies including parade of athletes and arrival of the “Flame of Hope”
- Jed Collins, New Orleans Saints Fullback as Special Olympics Louisiana Ambassador and Brian de la Puente, New Orleans Saints Center as Honorary Coach.
- Beginning at 6:00 p.m. until 9:00 p.m.
- Southeastern Louisiana University, Strawberry Stadium, Hammond, LA
- From 6:00 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. military flag football game, Golden Oldies car show, music by Dysfunctional Bone
- Jed Collins, New Orleans Saints Fullback as Special Olympics Louisiana
- Athletics, Bocce, Power lifting, Turbo Jav Demonstration and Unified Volleyball
- Beginning at 8:00 a.m. until 9:00 p.m.
- Southeastern Louisiana University, Hammond, LA
- Athletics will be at Southeastern’s Track and Field Complex
- Bocce will be between Teaching Education Center Building and Livingston Hall
- Turbo Jav, Power lifting and Unified Volleyball will be at the Pennington Activity Center
- Some of the athletes participating in this weekend’s event will advance to the 2014 Special Olympics USA National Games in New Jersey.
- Highlights include the fun and entertaining Olympic Town, Healthy Athletes, Project UNIFY parade, Youth Rally, Closing Ceremonies and a dance.
- Competitions resume for Athletics and Bocce from 8:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m.
The event is free and open to the public. For more information or a detailed schedule of events click here.