BATON ROUGE, LA (NBC33) — Keep Louisiana Beautiful, the state's non-profit organization dedicated to litter prevention and waste reduction, is calling on Louisiana residents to help nominate exemplary groups and individuals whose efforts help to keep Louisiana beautiful. The annual awards program presents seven awards recognizing exceptional volunteers in the state, and includes the Alice Foster Award, named in honor of the former first lady. The deadline for entries is Monday, Oct. 8, 2012. Entries should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org
Recipients will be recognized on Friday, Oct. 26, 2012, during the Annual Awards Luncheon at the conclusion of the 2012 KLB State Conference in New Iberia, La. Former Governor Mike Foster will speak at the luncheon and First Lady Alice Foster will present the special award named in her honor.
Keep Louisiana Beautiful seeks nominations and entries for the following categories:
• Most Innovative Program - a Keep Louisiana Beautiful affiliate, nonprofit organization, civic group or governmental entity that has introduced a successful environmental initiative that is particularly creative or innovative.
• Youth Leadership Award - a school, school district, educator or student (elementary through college) that has displayed creativity and effective leadership, engaged peers and community and has made a significant impact.
• Outstanding Keep Louisiana Beautiful Affiliate (population over 10,000) - an affiliate that has shown exceptional creativity and diversity of programming as well as community engagement and leadership qualities.
• Outstanding Keep Louisiana Beautiful Affiliate (population under 10,000) - an affiliate that has shown exceptional creativity and diversity of programming as well as community engagement and leadership qualities.
• Outstanding Keep Louisiana Beautiful Affiliate Director - a director/executive director of a KLB affiliate who has demonstrated innovative and exceptional leadership in building a strong, sustainable and diverse program in his/her community.
• Corporate Leadership Award - a business that has demonstrated innovative and consistent dedication to environmental stewardship and community enrichment.
• Alice Foster Award - recognizes volunteers for exceptional leadership in litter prevention, waste reduction, recycling and beautification.
"We are honored to present our annual awards program to spotlight groups and individuals who go above and beyond to help keep our state beautiful," said Leigh Harris, KLB executive director. "If you know of an individual, group or a company that has done an outstanding job with anti-litter and sustainability efforts, please help us recognize them by submitting an entry today."